There is no skirting around the issue here- it has been a VERY long time since I posted on this blog! I’ve also been busy making, designing, sewing, embroidering, raising kids, and, oh yes, busy with the day job – basically, living a life like many of you.
What’s in the works: a new website and new classes, the latter of which I am calling The Craft Sessions. They are about learning new skills and techniques, making a particular project, but just as important, about connecting with others in the community- because for centuries, women especially have come together to share their skills, exchange stories, forge friendships, and walk away a bit more refreshed and inspired than when they walked through the door.
So, join me and others at The TreeHouse, a beautiful new creative space (with great lighting!) in Downers Grove, Illinois, for the first Craft Sessions class – Understory, an embroidery class suitable for beginners and experienced stitchers.
In the class, here’s what we will learn:
- How to prepare and mark your fabric – including using a running stitch to mark rule lines
- Overview of the materials we will be working with – linen, thread, etc.
- Design building blocks – a word about color and negative space as it relates to this project; this is especially important because the flowers themselves are stitched freehand (no markings to follow)
- Stitches – including seed stitch, running stitch, and backstitches
- Ideas for adding a few more details to make your project even more unique
Materials and supplies:
The Understory kit is included with the price of the class. It includes fabric, thread, and needles. Hoops will be available to purchase if you need one. You are welcome to borrow a hoop to use during the class.
Other supplies for you to bring to class: an embroidery hoop if you have one, a favorite pair of scissors, your eyeglasses, and a notepad/pen for taking notes.
The TreeHouse in Downers Grove, Illinois, about 20 miles west of Chicago. Please note: This class in on the 2nd floor, which is accessible only via stairs. If you are interested in taking the class but stairs are an issue please email me at yvonne@– I will keep you posted as to when the class is scheduled in a more accessible space. Parking is available on the street.
This one session, two-hour class is being offered twice in the next few weeks:
- Wednesday, October 18 – 9:30 am – 11:30 am – Registration closes at 6 am on October 18th.
- Wednesday, November 1 – 9:30 – 11:30 am – Registration closes at 6 am on November 1st.
To register, click here.